Thursday 31 January 2008

Initial Planning from our participants

The True story of Little Red Riding Hood - Jonathon Kersey
I thought I would share Jonathon's initial planning frame for his 'Young geographers, Living Geography' project. Please don't think you have to send or present your initial planning like this - I've just coloured and highlighted the original word doc to make it more 'web friendly' - I hope.
Also - if you don't want your initial planning published on this blog - don't worry it doesn't have to be.

Many thanks Jonathon and I hope others enjoy reading it!

The True Story of Little Red Riding Hood

What Difference Can I Make? - Sue Parsons

Thank you Sue for sending this planning starter. Sue Parsons uses stories and poems as a starting point for environmental evaluation. These pupils will be thinking about their role as citizens and the potential they have to improve their school environment.

View Sue's initial plan 'What difference can I make?'

4 comments:

Wendy North said...

Hi Jonathon & Paula,

I was interested in your starting point of Red Riding Hood as I've been using the story as a text that could be mapped using the software Local Studies. (The 2nd round of the APG Curriculum Making events - Primary ICT).

On a train journey down to London a - but my experiment was few months ago I was experimenting with Quikmaps and decided that an extension to this idea was to set Red Riding Hoods journey in a real place. I'd just been working with Methodist school in Wakefield - so an obvious choice for the school would be to focus Red Riding Hoods journey on Thornes Park. As a quick experiment a tried basing the journey on Grenowood - which is quite close to where I live - my efforts could be developed. You can find the map at:

Website: www.quikmaps.com/full/46683

If I had used My Maps - in Google Maps I could also have added photographs to the tags.

Paula Owens said...

Thanks Wendy - that's really useful.

Jonathan Kersey said...

Thanks for sharing how you used the story as a stimulus for map work. I can use some ideas to continue this project with my class now the film has been created.

I hope others will be encouraged by the possibilities of using stories for Geography. It has been great to combine Literacy and Geography together in a way which has really inspired my class.

Jonathan Kersey

Jonathan Kersey said...

Thanks for your comments about the starting point of LRRH. I will look at your map work on this theme and try to replicate some of this with my class. Now we have completed the film we can continue to use it to develop our Geographical understanding of our town.

Jonathan